Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Am I having a baby this week? Oh, also, we threw a party.

So there are several reasons I haven't posted anything in a while. First, after my appointment last Thursday I got totally freaked out that I'm going to go into labor THIS WEEK and have a baby by the weekend. For which I feel unprepared. As I've mentioned, I get my cerclage (stitch) removed this Thursday at 10:00 a.m. (Henry Ford Hospital time: probably more like noon). The plan is to remove the stitch, and then put me on a monitor to keep an eye on the baby for about 20 minutes. After that they want us to stick around the hospital for 2-3 hours (we were told we should walk around, have lunch, browse the shops, etc.), to see if I'm going to go into labor. I didn't ask statistics, but the way Dr. Murphy talked about it, she made it seem like... it was a pretty good possibility? And if I don't go into labor, that it could easily happen within a day or two. But then at the same time she indicated that some women go another "week or two" before going into labor. So I guess she is not thinking I'm going to make it to my October 6th due date!

Which is fine with me, actually. This baby weighs almost 6 pounds now. And I'm getting to that super uncomfortable, achey feet, kicks to the ribs, hurts to move/walk/lay/sit stage that I never had the privilege of experiencing with Owen. Which is less than fun. However, I'll be 35 1/2 weeks on Thursday when the stitch comes out. I'd like to make it to 36 or 37 if possible - let this little lady cook just a bit longer. But since her arrival is completely out of my control, I need to just RELAX and go with it.

Another reason I've been so busy over the last week is that we've been frantically trying to wrap up the loose-end projects around here. And I'm happy to say that over the weekend we (Eric) pretty much finished the master bedroom/bathroom upstairs! As of Wednesday night when my split box spring gets delivered (thank you old house with narrow stairs that our queen box won't fit up) we will officially move into our bedroom upstairs! We will no longer be squatting (literally, the mattress is just sitting on the floor) in the den/bonus room downstairs. I can't WAIT.

Also the baby's room is 98% complete. Curtains and a few remaining pictures will get hung today, and that will be that. I can't wait to post some pictures. It's freaking adorable.

And, the main reason I was so busy this last week? We had my nephew Trenton's first birthday party on Saturday! Which we sort-of combined with Owen's 3rd birthday (for the Millers at least), so it was really TWO birthday parties. And, being the one not working and on bed-rest, I threw myself into decoration- and scrapbook-making for the week prior to the party. Here's a glimpse at some of my handiwork (apologies for the unedited and somewhat crappy photos - lighting was bad, and I'm too lazy these days to deal with Photoshop):

Yeah, I made streamers out of fake money for T-Money.


And cupcake toppers with "T$", 1s, 3s, and assorted Cars characters (for Owen).


And a rockin' Cars banner for O-man.


And, the best part, a banner out of fake money for T-Money.


To top it off I made the best vegan cupcakes I've ever tasted (they may have been the best cupcakes in general, actually). Recipe here. Overall, I think both boys very much enjoyed their party. I mean. It was a day of cars, trucks, bikes, Nemo, cupcakes, pop and no naps. Pretty much every toddler's/baby's dream day.





Happy Birthday boys!

Hopefully I'll have one more quick post before leaving for the hospital Thursday that will say something like: "Bag is packed, all plans are in place for kid/dog care, baby's room and master bedroom are finished, and I'm ready to have a baby." Hopefully.


2 comments:

  1. Melissa, I love the updates! I wish you the best and hope that your cervix cooperates and you and the baby girl make it to 37 weeks!

    xo

    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann! We hope you guys are doing well - we miss you!

    ReplyDelete