Tuesday, September 6, 2011

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.

Except that I'm at home. And not with a baby.

Which is good! I may or may not be in the very early stages of labor, but I am comfortably resting at home on my couch with season 2 of Friday Night Lights, and not in a hospital room, which is nice.

So the effing stitch. It's out. But it wasn't fun. And let me preface this by saying that a normal pap smear (sorry boys) brings tears to my eyes. I'm just apparently super sensitive in that area. So I knew this wouldn't be fun. Lets just say it was a great opportunity to practice some of my deep breathing techniques to try and manage the pain. Cause it was painful. There's nothing "natural" about having a stitch cut out of that region of your body, so I was expecting there to be some pain. But man. Good thing Eric is tough because while I tried to keep most of my body relaxed and calm, I did manage to squeeze the crap out of his hand for the duration of the 5-minute procedure. Which felt a LOT like labor.

After it was done and I got all pulled together they put me/the baby on a monitor for 20 minutes. The baby hiccuped the entire time, which was super cool/funny to hear on the monitor. I also started having contractions every 6-7 minutes and a lot of lower back pain. After they determined that the baby wasn't in any kind of distress, they sent us to the cafeteria to get some food. Sweet potato fries and orzo/feta salad - what? That cafeteria has some GOOD food. Anyway, after that Eric and I parked ourselves in a comfy couch in one of the lobbies and pulled out Eric's laptop to watch the season finale of MadMen Season 4 (Spoiler: Don, really? Your secretary?) while jotting down times on a scrap piece of paper for each contraction I was having.

After MadMen and a trip to the hospital Caribou Coffee to get some tea, we determined that A). My back ache was pretty much gone, B). My contractions had spaced out to being anywhere from 8 to 20 minutes apart, C.) My water hadn't broke yet, and D.) Overall I was feeling pretty good.

So we came home.

And I'm continuing to feel better and better. I think the procedure really shook things up and for a good half-hour there we thought for sure I was in labor. But sitting and resting for a bit helped calm things down, and I feel pretty much the same as I have most days this week, albeit maybe a little crampier in general.

I am, however, ONE centimeter dilated, and about 80% thinned/effaced. So. Stuff is for sure happening. I feel encouraged that with Owen I remember being so uncomfortable and in quite a bit of pain by the time I was at 2-3 centimeters, and so far today, I feel great. So. Fingers crossed that I am able to relax and breathe my way right into the delivery room much more easily and calmly with this one. That being said, one can be 2-5 centimeters dilated for weeks without going into labor. So who knows.

Another fun fact is that I was told that she has really dropped, signaling that she is pretty much ready to go, but also making it impossible for me to walk like a normal person. I definitely have the "pregnancy waddle" going on. Super sexy, I know.

Also, we might have picked a name? Being in the hospital and thinking you may be in labor really lights a fire under you to have a serious discussion about naming your child. But we're keeping it a secret for now...

So that's our story! Thanks to everyone for all the well-wishes today. We'll let you know if/when things start happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment