Sunday, July 10, 2011

Motorized scooters and adventures in lighting.

Kristie and I took a much-needed trip to Target today. It included purchases such as more "big-boy" underwear for Owen, a new bathroom rug, a few candles, and an oscillating fan for Owen's room, among other things (I had a list and stuck to it, I swear). Eric and Owen and I went to Target a few weeks ago and discovered that they have wheelchairs available, which was quite the revelation. Well, someone had the nerve to be using the wheelchair today, leaving me to cruise around a busy Target driving... this:



Kristie tried to get some "action shots" of me driving, but the iphone leaves much to be desired in the way of shutter speed, so this was the best photo we could get. Also I was laughing so hard it was probably extra difficult to get a good shot.

But yeah, that's right. It's a motorized scooter with a big ol' basket on the front of it. And it was AWESOME. Once I got over the initial embarrassment of it, it actually turned out to be pretty sweet, and I found myself thinking that this is how one should always shop at Target. Sure, I clipped a few end-caps (okay, I got stuck on on one), and the loud beeping it makes when you back up doesn't exactly make you feel great about yourself (beep! beep! beep! Wide load, backing up!). But I was comfortable, not on my feet, and not carrying anything, so I think in terms of outings, my doctors wouldn't be too upset about this one. Also, it hauls ASS. So you can get through Target much more quickly than on foot, which is an added bonus.

However, today was a good reminder of why I should stay away from Target in general. $140 on... what exactly? Shoot.

When we got home, Eric started to tackle the lighting in the dining room and living room while Owen was napping. We got all the wire fed up through the chain, as per the instructions, and had all the lamp pieces put together and wiring connected. We thought we were in good shape. Then we took a step back and looked at what we had accomplished. Notice anything wrong?



Yeah, the chain is just a BIT long, you think? Again, fits of laughter for Melissa. "Okay, we did it! We wired it up all by ourselves, look at us!" Yes, if we wanted the chandelier to sit on the floor of the dining room. Oops. We managed to cut the chain down to a more reasonable length, and now have the most beautiful chandelier in all the land hanging in our dining room. I'm in love. It's perfect. To quote another blog that I'm very fond of: "IT'S FULL OF WHIMSY."




Eric also got the sconces up tonight, but I don't have any photos of them yet. As much as we are loving the chandelier and sconces, we are realizing very fast that we need them all to be on dimmers. There aren't any shades over the bulbs (which is why I like them so much), but without a dimmer, they are a little harsh on the eyes, especially as it gets darker out. So. That's the next project (you reading this Uncles John or Doug?).

But tonight we are chilling out in the living room, on the new couch. For the first time since we moved in there are no boxes on the floor out here, no cords being dragged from other room, no tools on the floor, and all of the other furniture put in its place. And it's pretty great. We still have a lot to do, but tonight I actually feel comfortable and at home in my living room for the first time, which is a pretty great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment