Tuesday, July 12, 2011

28 weeks and getting cocky.

I am 28 weeks along this week. According to BabyCenter that means the baby is the weight of a Chinese cabbage. I've never seen, bought or eaten a Chinese cabbage, so this reference is completely lost on me. However, a Chinese cabbage (and our baby) apparently weighs about 2 1/4 pounds.

28 weeks also means that I've been on bed rest for TEN WEEKS, since I had the cerclage procedure at 18 weeks. Whoa. That's a LONG time.

I'm happy to report that I've been feeling GREAT (knocking on like 17 pieces of wood right now). I still tire very easily, and if I stand for too long the weight of the baby puts a lot of strain on my weak abdominal muscles, forcing me back to a sitting/lying position. But lately this has been a GOOD thing. I am in that stage of pregnancy where one feels somewhat "invincible." Like I want to just get up and DO things - to the point where I forget that I really can't. My friend Kristie hit the nail on the head when she said that my body wanted desperately to "nest," but I'm not really allowed to. Which is rough.

I have been much more active in the last couple of weeks, though ("active" being a very relative term). And once again I'm getting anxious for my appointment on Friday to see if things are still status quo. I really hope they are, because my recent mini-excursions and light work/cooking around the house are totally saving my sanity right now, and I'd hate to be told that I wasn't allowed to leave the couch except to use the bathroom again. The fact that I have been feeling so good has, I'm afraid, made me a little cocky and I have found myself on the brink of over-doing it several times in the last week or so (at which point I immediately stop and lay down). Despite my energy (be it what it is) and my desire to "nest," I'm still mostly on the couch all day. I promise. It's just that my trips off the couch now entail a little bit more than just getting a glass of water or using the bathroom.

For example, last night I sat on a stool in the hallway and cut and placed new contact paper in the built-in linen closet. Not exactly heavy-lifting, but still something I felt I could do to be useful without directly disobeying doctor's orders. And look how pretty!




That's right. I even did the UNDERSIDE of the shelves (okay, just the top one that you could see the bottom of). There were some pretty gnarly wood boards/shelves in there. I know my dad was just itching to tear them out and replace them, but for now, this pretty green contact paper will do the trick.

And this is where rectangle man died:


Actually, this is the area we measured out for the new buffet and hutch that I'm going to order tomorrow. With the kitchen being pretty small, we wanted to have additional space in the dining room both for storing some of our nicer items like teacups and wine glasses, and as an extra serving space for when we have company (okay, a place to set out the pizzas and/or the chips and dip, as that's about all we "serve" these days). Right now the only thing in the whole dining room is the table and chairs, and the space feels a little bare. The hutch will go on that far wall. (Man, I really need to find my tripod. All this indoor flash use is killing me).



It will be nice to get that piece of furniture in place, and start hanging some pictures on the walls in there! All in due time. (So long as "due time" is before the baby arrives).

Also, quick lighting update - my amazing husband (with a quick phone consultation to an electrician friend) figured out how to re-wire the lighting and put everything on dimmers himself! Now we are not blinded by our lovely new fixtures. And, as Eric put it last night, we now have the added bonus of having "mood lighting" in the living room. Unfortunately for Eric, that "mood lighting" isn't really gonna have the effect he'd hoped for right now. Sorry babe. The lights look AWESOME, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment