Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The time I passed out at the doctor's office.

My appointment with Trish the midwife went great yesterday. She might have estimated that the baby already weighs over 4 pounds. I'm going to try not to dwell on that fact (or the fact that at 6 weeks preterm, Owen already weighed 6 lbs 6 oz when he was born), because I'm slightly terrified of giving birth to an 11 pound baby.

Heartbeat was great. My measurements are great. She even had a good chuckle when she lifted up my shirt and could clearly see the giant bulge on my right side. Some days it's more noticeable than others. Yesterday it was ridiculous.

The appointment went downhill when it was time for my progesterone injection. I actually took Owen up to school this morning so Eric could get a jump start on the baby's room. And I didn't eat before I left the house, so I grabbed a chocolate chip muffin and a decaf soy latte from Bigby on my way home (insert joke about why baby is so huge here). Well apparently there wasn't enough in that muffin to sustain me as well as my usual oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts does (shocking).

Top that off with the fact that it was a new nurse giving me the injection (my usual lady wasn't in the office today). Top THAT off with the fact that this injection is already notorious for being gruesome (large needle, painful serum), which this new nurse made sure to tell me more than once (as if this was my first time).

I mean, she was a real nice lady. But this injection is just a bear. And for whatever reason it took a loooong time - much longer than usual. And it hurt much more than usual. And I felt like she was sort-of... jamming the needle around a bit. So towards the end of it I got all hot and sweaty and lightheaded and basically slumped over on the table (they have you lean/brace yourself on the exam table as it is while they give it).

So I basically passed out. They made me sit there for a good 20 minutes while they gave me some water, and took my blood pressure several times. It was still pretty low when I left, but I think I convinced them through my good-humored attitude and my ability to walk down the hall without falling down that I was, in fact, fine to drive myself home.

So. I will be sticking with Brenda the nurse for all future injections. I'll also be sure to eat a better breakfast on days I have to go in for this (and all days, I know, a fatty muffin is not a healthy breakfast), as my probably pretty low blood sugar was likely a major contributing factor.

Latest Obsession:
We cannot stop drinking Whole Foods' (or as we lovingly call it: Whole Paycheck's) "all natural" sodas. I mean. They're still full of sugar. But it's at least cane sugar not high fructose corn syrup. And they're all caffeine free with natural flavors so I feel okay about having one a day as a sweet treat. The Orange Creme Soda and Cherry Vanilla Creme Soda are the current favorites. Delicious!


Sneak Peek!
Eric hung the chandelier in the baby's room today. He was less-than-thrilled about the project, as it entailed lots of dainty little pieces being meticulously strung up from the already-hanging chandelier. This is just the beginning of the project - note the really "super-excited-to-be-doing-this" look on his face.



But I can tell you that now that it's up and completed that it is FANTASTIC. I wish it was in the dining room it's so pretty! We'll put up nursery photos once it's all pulled together... Hopefully in about a week or two...

We also purchased some awesome new pieces from an Oxford woman that refinishes old furniture last night... More on these new cool additions once we get them in the house tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment