Monday, October 3, 2011

I finished your blanket. You can be born now.

So I started this baby blanket waaaay back when I first went on bedrest, and wrote about it in this post. And I promptly forgot about it. Actually, that's not entirely true. I did catch a glimpse of it every now and again and felt a bit of anxiety about not working on it. But, truth be told, it is actually really hard to knit when you're laying down. So since the cerclage was removed, and I've been much more upright, I've been knitting away, and finished the blanket last week.




It was a pretty simple pattern, knit on the diagonal, and I think it turned out pretty nice. There are a few little blemishes that I had to repair after the fact, but I'm betting she won't notice. It's super soft and I can't wait to wrap her up in it when she gets here!





And because I have fallen in love with these from Etsy, I decided to make some myself. I couldn't find a good pattern, so I just winged it with a garter stitch and some cheap Lion Brand yarn in a really pretty purple/pink blend.




They look a little weird and remind me of elephant trunks (like on a really pretty elephant). But I think once on a teeny tiny pair of baby legs, they will look adorable. At least worthy of taking a few cute photos in. And for a $5 skein of yarn, that's really all I'm looking for.

And since I realized the only photos of the baby's room I had shared so far were a few on Facebook from my iphone, I snapped a few more today. This is a shot of the room from the doorway.



THIS, is my grandpa's old glider, that my grandma gave me when I was pregnant with Owen. Before we put it in baby girl's room, my fantastic Aunt Sue sewed a new cover for it with some fabric I picked up at JoAnns, and we couldn't be happier about it. It's like a whole new chair. Except it's really an OLD chair, and I love all of it's creaks and clicks it makes when it rocks - reminds me of when Owen was a baby.



The baby's shelf is half of the shelving that used to be in Owen's room. Now he has half and the baby gets half, which worked out great. Thanks to my dad who built these awesome shelves for Owen's room at the old house! (And yes, that's a Precious Moment's ballerina doll that was mine when I was little. Awwwwww).



We have a few frames hanging, but I may add more to it over time. Right now they are some photos of Owen and Hudson, a drawing my cousin Lindsey bought for me from an artist in Taiwan, a flower print, a framed piece of damask-patterned scrapbook paper, and a really pretty card my friend Donna sent me from Norway with the verses of a Norwegian children's song (love).



The yellow flower mirror was mine as a kid. It lived up north at the cottage for a long time after that, until I stealthily stole it back a couple of years ago. And this is the antique dresser (that also used to be mine) that I primed and painted white. Turned out pretty good!



There's a little wood cradle on the floor under the window in the first photo, which was/is also mine from when I was little. My dad made it for me when I was 9 for my dolls, and my parents gave it to me for Christmas in 1988. I LOVE that I get to pass this down to baby girl.



And that's Monday. At my appointment with my midwife tomorrow I plan on asking a bazillion questions about what she does and does not recommend in terms of trying to naturally induce labor. My due date is Thursday, which is in 3 days. We are still totally baffled and dumbfounded that she hasn't arrived yet - and my being a really impatient person by nature isn't helping. I also have thought I was in labor a few times over the past few days, but it always subsides. I think now she's just messin' with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment